Where is Western?
With a diverse population of almost half a million, London is an educational, cultural, and economic hub of Southwestern Ontario. We are approx. 200 km west of Toronto and 200 east of Detroit, US. Known as the Forest city for its many parks and green areas, London offers the best of both worlds: the safety, charm, and affordability of a small community with the diversity, career opportunities and conveniences of a big city. Western is well connected to the city’s public transit system.
30%+ of Canada’s population lives within a 2-5 hr drive; access to 150mil people in Canada and US within a 10 hour drive.
Why Western for Graduate School?
Since 1878, Western University has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth. Western challenges the best and the brightest students to commit to the highest global standards.
- One of Canada’s oldest universities and Canada’s 6th largest university
- One of Canada’s leading academic institutions recognized for leadership in research, education and health care;
- Ranked among the top one percent of institutions of higher education worldwide
- Large research intensive institution with 37,740 students, including over 5,700 graduate students, with 22% of graduate students international from 89 different countries
- Annual research spending exceeding $240mil
- Home to state of the art research facilities including:
- Brain and Mind Institute
- Biotron Climate change research facility
- Rotman institute of philosophy
- WindEEE –the world’s first 3D wind-testing chamber
- AFAR – Advanced Facility for Avian Research
Western attracts the best students with one of the highest national entrance averages of first-year students at 89.3 per cent. Western also has one of the highest retention rates in the country.
Alumni: 277,000 alumni live and work around the world. We have alumni associations in US, Hong King, China, the UK, Australia, and Singapore.
A total of 1,200 int’l grad students from 89 different countries.
Western offers 88 graduate degree programs and 31 graduate credentials across 11 faculties.
Why Western for Graduate School?
While the university has achieved acclaim for research in full range of disciplines it has identified signature areas in which global-scale clusters of research excellence have been established including: (list research excellence).
Western has 50 Canada research chairs awarded in key areas of research strength, including Neuroscience, medical imaging, musculoskeletal health, philosophy, materials and biomaterials, environmental sustainably and green energy, and wind engineering and natural disaster mitigation.
Our professors: a total of 24 Western professors have won 3M National Teaching Fellowships, which honour and reward those who demonstrate the highest calibre of excellence in teaching.
53% of Western’s research publications between 2007 and 2012 were co-authored with int’l colleagues according to the web of Science. Furthermore 40% of our faculty have attained their highest degree from outside of Canada and about 40% of our faculty were born outside of Canada.
Please see listed a few graduate scholarship opportunities. For more information please visit funding opportunities on www.grad.uwo.ca.
Life at Western University
Western university provides an open, safe and inclusive campus community with close to 170 student clubs and volunteer organizations and a wide range of support services. Western Mustangs rank number one among all Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) universities.
Support Services offered:
- The Student Success Centre
- Student Development Centre
- Teaching and Learning Centre
- Immigration and Study permit support
- English Conversation Circles
- Cultural Transiting Programming